Friday, June 5, 2009

Lessons Learned at Aunt Sheshe's



This week I took one of my girls to south Arkansas to visit my Grandmother and the rest of my family. My 4 yr old, got to meet Aunt Sheila, (Sheshe as she called her) for the first time. Aunt Sheshe is the best hostess ever! She bends over backwards to make sure her guests are comfortable.

Lesson #1 Keep frozen cookie dough in your freezer for that just in case guest. Frozen dough is usually really cheap with coupons and it just adds so much to your visit to pull hot cookies out of the oven for your guests. We visited Aunt Sheshe two times and both time she had cookies and coffee ready to go.



Aunt Sheshe, also has a beautiful home, think the pages of Southern Living Magazine. She loves silk flowers and greenery and she has such a great eye for decorating.


Lesson #2 use an air compressor to blow any dust off of your silk plants and then spray them with special spray made just for silk plants that will keep the dust off.



If Aunt Sheshe wants it, she gets it. What I mean by that is that Aunt Sheshe saves her money to improve each room of her house. She makes everything herself. She sews her curtains and slipcovers, she lays her own tile, she even built her own beautiful shop behind her house where a dilapidated one stood. In her front yard, she decided she wanted a fountain so she went and go the cement herself and made a beautiful fountain with landscaping and lights. I think she freaked Uncle David out when he came home and their was cement and supplies all over the front yard. Aunt Sheshe is just plain fearless.


Lesson#3 Don't be afraid to do it yourself. It saves a lot of money and you can do anything you put your mind to. I have to admit that when there are outside improvements to be made, I wait on my hubby to do it for me. Aunt Sheshe inspired me that I can do it all by myself if I need to. If you have a project you have been thinking of doing. Check out YouTube.com. I bet you will find step by step instructions there.



While at Aunt Sheshe's house I got to try out a great mosquito repelling trick I had read about somewhere. It worked! The further south you go, the bigger the mosquito's get. The ones at Aunt Sheshe's house were as big as cows. That's right, there are flying cows in Arkansas. When I did the trick, I did not get bitten. They did land on me and think about it but then they left. The next day, I forgot to do it and got bitten to pieces, so that is how I know it works.




Lesson#4 Rub a dryer sheet or half of one on your clothes before heading outside to keep the mosquito's from eating you. The thing I read, said to actually just put a sheet in your pocket. I did not trust that so, I rubbed it on my clothes and even my skin, just in case and it worked. One caution, if you have sensitive skin, you probably want to just use it on your clothes. It really works!



Lesson#5 When we travel we keep all of our toothbrushes together in a zip lock bag and they get oooty, which is not really a word, but it sums up their condition well. Did you know that you can run your toothbrushes through the dishwasher to kill germs? This also extends their life.


If you are reading this Aunt Sheshe, thanks so much for your hospitality. We are so lucky to have you in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment