Wednesday, May 20, 2009

~Frugal Recipe ~Beans and Rice

I am not a big fan of beans. I never have liked them very much. One day I was introduced by my friends to beans and rice with some Puerto Rican flair and I actually like them. A bigger victory is that my kids are crazy about them. This is an ultra cheap, ultra healthy and super simple meal. I made them tonight and did not have all of the ingredients I usually use, but they still turned out great.

2 cans of pinto beans
2-3 medium potatoes
Adobo seasoning to taste

Combine canned beans with small diced potato's and add a couple of shakes of Adobo seasoning. Taste it and make sure it is well seasoned, because you will serve it over plain rice. Heat it to a boil, stir and cover and simmer while you cook your rice. Stir it to keep it from sticking to the pan. It is ready when it is thick and the liquid looks almost like gravy. Serve it over hot rice.

1 comment:

  1. you can start them by putting a little bit of oil before all ingredients to help them not stick. Also if you add a can of tomato sauce it makes the beans less thick and with more sauce for the rice (P.S adding some water after the tomato sauce makes them even saucier) ;)

    ReplyDelete